I first tried Hamsi when I visited Romania, and enjoyed it with a nice cold beer and will have some on my next trip to Bucharest.
I decided to give it a try, and it turned out really well.
- 1 kg anchovies
- 300 grams corn flour
- 2 large eggs
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 3 tablespoons vegetable oil
- Pinch of pepper
- I used tinned anchovies but if you get fresh you will need to wash themunder cold running water and remove its guts and heads if needed. If you were like me and used tinned jumped to the corn flour stage.
- Once thoroughly cleaned, drain and set aside.
- Mix corn flour, salt and pepper in a small bowl.
- In a separate mixing bowl, crack the egg and beat using a whisk or fork.
- In a large non-stick frying pan, pour some vegetable oil in and heat it up slowly over medium low heat.
- Take one or two anchovies at a time by holding them firmly from the ends.
- Dip in the lightly beaten egg and roll them over in the cornflour mixture.
- Shake the small fishes off slightly to remove excess flour.
- Place the anchovies directly in the pan of preheated oil over low heat and repeat for the rest of them as quickly as you can.
- Once you have all of them in the pan, change the temperature to medium heat and start frying the anchovies for about 4-5 minutes.
- Once the other side is done, flip all of them over carefully with a spatula.
- Cook the other side for another 5 minutes or until golden brown.
- Serve and enjoy with a cold beer