There are two ways to make Barfi, one is using milk the other is using condensed milk.
I tried both ways and can tell you, condensed milk is the way to go as using milk you will be standing for around 3 to 5 hours stirring it…but its up to you what one you try.
Decide what way you want to do it and just follow the instructions with either milk or condensed milk and you will get the same result.
If you can find something called khoya, this will make it be more like the shop bought Barfi as this was is kinda more like a cross between Barfi and Toffee…but its still really good.
- Milk 1 (1 litre) / Condensed Milk 400ml
- Spread ghee or butter on all sides of a container/dish (this is where you will be putting the Burfi to set when its ready)
- In a pan pour 1 Litre of milk in to a pan or 400ml condensed milk
- Boil the milk on a medium heat (do not use a high heat)
- Keep stirring the milk until it starts to bubble
- When you see the bubble add 1/4 cup of sugar to the milk
- Turn down the heat now to a low heat
- Keep stirring it still slowly start to make a dough like texture
- Once it looks very much like a dough, remove it and put it in your container and flatten down.
- Now place in the fridge for around 1 to 1.5 hours
- Take it out and cut it in to pieces and enjoy
Chocolate Barfi Recipe
- Cocoa powder 3tbsp
- Milk 2 tbsp
- Milk 1 litre or condensed milk 400ml
- Butter 2 tsp
- Keep the heat off right now
- In a non stick pan , mix the cocoa powder and milk to turn it them in to a paste.
- Once its a paste add the 1 litre of milk or condensed milk and the butter and mix well
- Cook this mixture on a medium heat till it starts to boil
- Once its formed a nearly solid consistency transfer to a greased box
- Put in the fridge for about an hour
- Now cut in to small pieces and enjoy.