- 1 large egg
- 1 sheet frozen puff pastry, thawed but still cold, or block of ready puff pastry
- 1/3 cup parmesan cheese or Grana padano cheese (fruity cheese)
- 1 teaspoon of basil
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.
- Line a baking tray with parchment paper and set aside.
- Unfold puff pastry on a lightly floured work surface and roll out.
- In a small bowl, whisk together egg and a splash of water.
- Brush the egg wash over the surface of the puff pastry.
- Sprinkle pastry with cheese and basil (sprinkle lightly), pepper.
- Use the rolling pin to gently roll and press the toppings into the puff pastry.
- Using a floured knife or pizza cutter, cut pastry lengthwise into about 1/2-inch strips.
- Hold each end of the pastry and twist several times. place the twisted pastry on the prepared sheet, about 1-inch apart.
- Bake for 6 to 12 minutes, until puffed and golden brown.
- Flip straws once the top of the first side is getting a little brown.