When you are at the start of your weight loss journey, it’s natural to want to know how to keep it off. There Is only so long you can or should be in a calorie deficit, and understanding how to manage your weight once you hit your goal is vital. Learning to balance your physical health with eating well and moving even better is going to be an important learning curve.
98% of the people who maintain their weight loss adapt their eating habits for good, and yet most people regain the weight once they stop their new way of living. Being able to keep the weight off for good, well, it can take a little while to learn. However, with the right changes and the right mindset, you can go a long way to ensuring that you are doing something different this time than what you’ve done before. Let’s take a look at some of the things that you can do to ensure that you are able to keep the weight off.
- Are your goals realistic? The only way to make sure that your weight loss journey will be a success is to know that your goals are realistic ones. Understanding your BMR calories as well as your TDEE (total daily energy expenditure) will help you to make the best possible decisions for your body. You need to ensure that your goals are not mountains. One pound at a time is a smart goal to have. Any more than that, and you could easily miss out on your goals. Once you write your goals down, you can start ticking them off one by one. This leads to better decision making overall, which is what you need when you’re going to keep at this!
- Understand your eating. Mindset is vital for weight loss, and understanding what you’re eating and why is so important if you want to be as healthy as possible. You can use food diaries and tracking apps to help you to keep up with your food intake and your calories. You don’t need to do this for too long, though. You’ll soon be picking up on the calories in things and you won’t have to track anymore. If you’re aware of your habits, you can make good changes.
- Control your portion sizes. If you ensure that you are eating normal portion sizes and not overloaded ones, you’re going to instantly start losing some fat and getting your body to its normal. Eating well is 80% of the battle!
- Choose smart. You don’t have to give up your favourite foods and you don’t have to demonise any food groups. Discover the healthy snacks and learn more about which fruit and veggies will keep you fuller for longer. You can do so much better in yourself when you are making good food choices.
- Get moving. Whether You are in the gym or not, you should think about moving more. Go for a walk on your lunch break and use the stairs!