Boclair House Hotel
100 Milngavie Road,
Bearsden. Glasgow. G61 2TQ.
T : 0141 942 4278
e : firstname.lastname@example.org
Date Of Visit : Sunday 25th December 2016
So this year’s family Christmas dinner was spent at the Boclair House Hotel, I had only been here just once and it was for a family member’s funeral so it was nice to come back and have a nice happy event and meal.
The Menu :
Christmas Day Menu
- Trio of Scottish Salmon With a leek terrine, beetroot cured and hot smoked rillette. Served with braised leek and caviar
- Duck Liver, Orange and Whiskey Parfait : Red onion marmalade, textures of beetroot with ciabatta wafer
- Twice Baked Lanark Blue Cheese and Walnut Souf é (v) Poached mulled wine baby pear and toasted almond salad
- Ayrshire Chicken, Pistachio and Foie Gras Terrine Pickled cucumber and apricot chutney
Parsnip and Honey Soup (v) : Rosemary and garlic crumb
- Traditional Roast Turkey : Roast potatoes, vegetables, chipolatas with sprouts and turkey jus
- Lightly Spiced Monk fish Tail : Braised puy lentils, cauliflower fritters with crisp pancetta and citrus dressing
- Seared Medallions of Prime Scottish Beef Fillet Dauphinoise potato, truffle scented mushrooms and madeira jus
- Wild Mushroom, Leek and Spinach Wellington (v) Confit new potato, shallot purée and herb dressing
- Traditional Christmas Pudding : Courvoisier brandy sauce
- Clementine and Nutmeg Crème Brûlée : Orange scented biscotti biscuits
- Sugar Coated Brioche Doughnuts : “Jack Daniel’s Honey” chocolate dipping sauce
- Selection of Scottish Cheese : Grapes, biscuits and celery with winter fruit compote
Freshly brewed tea & coffee with festive mince pies
Adults £85 | Children £29.95
Visit from Santa & free gift for every child
Everyone knows that when you go out for Christmas dinner its never going to be perfect, it’s a very busy day for the location and staff so something has to go wrong….well most of the time.
My Starter :
Duck Liver, Orange and Whiskey Parfait
“Red onion marmalade, textures of beetroot with ciabatta wafer”
For me, you can’t really go wrong with pate unless you are one of those people who prefer smooth over chunky, I like both so am ok.
This was very nice, the pate was full of flavour and I really enjoyed it.
What I do hate but this applies to every restaurant that does pate is, you always get more pate than what it comes with to spread on.
Parsnip and Honey Soup (v) :
“Rosemary and garlic crumb”
For me the soup was very nice, again you could easily taste the honey and the parsnip. The amount you were given tonight was perfect, as there were still a few courses to follow.
Wild Mushroom, Leek and Spinach Wellington (v)
“Confit new potato, shallot purée and herb dressing”
So recently I have been trying to be a little good and go for a healthier option every now and then, so I decided to try this as the other items didn’t really appeal to me.
This was nice, maybe not as full of flavour as I would have liked but it was nice.
Sugar Coated Brioche Doughnuts :
“Jack Daniel’s Honey” chocolate dipping sauce
What can I say anything sugarcoated or has chocolate sauce is a winner for me, and yes this was very nice.
I had heard this was their first time doing Christmas dinner and unfortunately it did show, the time between courses was just too long. I know we weren’t in any rush, but it was just a little too long.
The reason for this was there was no set time for people to arrive, just turn up at a pre-booked time rather than the hotel saying “there are two sittings one at x time and the other at x time”. so this caused a little problem, and the staff were all over the place.
This pre-planned sitting would have been better, as all courses were coming out of the kitchen at different times so some tables would be starting and some would be finishing. This meant that there were delays with some time in getting courses, and we unfortunately were included in the delay area.
The atmosphere was just ok, there was Christmas music playing in the background and some Christmas decorations. To be honest, I don’t know what it was missing, maybe the tables could have had some more decorations, I just don’t know but it was an ok atmosphere but didn’t really feel Christmasy.
Apart from the delays, I can’t really fault the food it was very nicely presented and also tasted nice.
Atmosphere : 3
Service : 2
Food : 4
Overall Score (out of 5) : 3.5